Home

Welcome to the Australian Gliding Museum Home Page

handoverThe Australian Gliding Museum first met as a committee on February 26th 1999. This brought together a number of kindred spirits interested in preserving older and historic gliders. These gliders are scattered all over Australia and the aim is to collect them in a safe place before they become destroyed or deteriorate beyond sensible refurbishment.

Other interesting gliding paraphernalia also is becoming available. A strong catalyst for formation of a glider museum was the discovery that an important Australian designed Schneider glider had left Australia bound for a foreign collection.

Find us on Google mapsTo join the Museum view Joining and Visiting. To make a non monetary gift view Deed of Gift.

Flying Plank PDF Print E-mail
Written by mv_admin   

FLYING PLANK

Donated by: Phyllis Cameron estate

Country of Origin - Design: USA

Country of Origin - Manufacture: Australia

Designer: Al Backstrom

Constructor: Cliff Brown

Year of Manufacture: 1957/58

The "plank" is one of a few flying wing gliders. There is not much known about these, except to say pilots of the "plank" were often more frightened by it than enthusiastic about it!

For many years this example was a gateway guardian at the late Ed McKeough's service station at Wangaratta. It then appeared hanging from the roof of one of the Gliding Club of Victoria's hangars at Benalla before being removed to John King's workshop at Swanpool.

Much restoration work has been performed by John King to bring the plank up to display condition only.

Last Updated on Wednesday, 22 June 2011 21:23