Home
Flying Plank PDF Print E-mail
Written by mv_admin   

FLYING PLANK

Donated by: Phyllis Cameron estate

Country of Origin - Design: USA

Country of Origin - Manufacture: Australia

Designer: Al Backstrom

Constructor: Cliff Brown

Year of Manufacture: 1957/58

The "plank" is one of a few flying wing gliders. There is not much known about these, except to say pilots of the "plank" were often more frightened by it than enthusiastic about it!

For many years this example was a gateway guardian at the late Ed McKeough's service station at Wangaratta. It then appeared hanging from the roof of one of the Gliding Club of Victoria's hangars at Benalla before being removed to John King's workshop at Swanpool.

Much restoration work has been performed by John King to bring the plank up to display condition only.